Local and central government have important obligations under copyright law. If your government agency needs a simple, efficient way to maintain compliance with copyright law, this licence is a great fit.
If your government agency makes use of content from books, journals, magazines or newspapers then this copyright licence is for you. For less than the cost of one book per staff member, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal, or magazine (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
How can you share this material with staff?
- Handouts, briefing notes and staff compiled worksheets (printed and digitally)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password protected intranet sites
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, and periodicals.
No more "do-it-yourself" law compliance: staff will no longer need to obtain re-use permission from each publisher. No need to re-new permission when licences expire, or to manage large quantities of complicated licences. And no need to remove material because re-use permission can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your school will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers - including many local creators - to continue to produce information you need to train your staff.
Pricing and licence period
Our pricing model and low, fixed fees mean that the more material you use, the lower the cost per item.
Pricing is based on your number of FTES (Full Time Equivalent Staff), making copyright compliance into a predictable fixed cost.
The Government Licence can be first activated at any point through the year, and is issued for the period January to December. Renewed at the beginning of every year, all you need to do is update us with your staff numbers and we'll take care of the rest.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
Our Government licence is designed to meet the needs of governmental departments and organisations.
- Full copying of out-of-print works in some circumstances.
- Free assistance with your copyright licence inquiries through our help desk.
- Free training material. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to obtain printed copies or to discuss other training needs.
Is your organisation an education or training provider?
We have other licence options that might be more suitable. Take a look at all of our licensing options here.
Find out more
To learn more about the Government Licence or discuss your copyright needs in more detail, please contact our Business Development Manager.
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base