New Zealand’s ITPs and Wānanga have copyright licences to help staff efficiently manage copyright. Learn more about the benefits of your organisation’s licence.
If your student course materials include content from books, journals, magazines or newspapers then this copyright licence is here to make your work much easier. For less than the cost of one book per student, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal or magazine (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
- Overseas and local newspapers (digital and print content)
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- 15 pages from books of short stories and poetry
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Overseas and local newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy)
How can you share this material with students?
- Handouts, class notes and lecturer compiled worksheets (printed and digital)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password protected intranet sites (eg. student portals)
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, newspapers and periodicals.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain re-use permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage large quantities of complicated licences. And no need to remove material because re-use permission can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your organisation will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers - including many ITP teaching staff and publications - to continue to produce information you need to teach your students.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of EFTS (Equivalent Full Time Students), making copyright compliance into a predictable fixed cost.
The ITP and Wānanga licence runs for the period January to December with an update of your EFTS numbers at the beginning of each year.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
- Free e-learning module for staff and students. In just 30 to 40 minutes you’ll gain an effective, practical grounding in copyright, or use it in professional development, new staff induction, or risk management exercises.
- Optional participation in our trial license extension to include in course materials obtained from prescribed inter-loan libraries here and overseas. Contact our Business Development Manager for more information.
- Knowledge base freely available for all tertiary staff and students. If you have a curly question, just consult our
Our second extract facility permits further copying beyond normal licence restrictions, and full copying of out-of-print works.
- Free training material. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss other training needs.
- Free support material for staff participating in data collection exercises.
- Optional implementation of e-reporting avoids the need to carry out periodic data collection.
Find out more
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base