We are committed to protecting your personal information.
Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ) (the trading name of Copyright Licensing Limited) is committed to protecting your personal information. This privacy notice will inform you about your privacy rights, and how we use and look after your personal information when you provide it to us via our website copyright.co.nz, our knowledge base, e-learning modules and MyCopyright (our online service for New Zealand rightsholders), or as part of our licence agreement with you, or our rights agreement with you, or personal information obtained in any other way.
Section 1: Introduction
This policy sets out the kind of information Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ) collects and holds; how we collect, use, disclose and store personal information; the purposes for which this information is collected; how it may be accessed and corrected; how you may complain about a breach of the principles of the Privacy Act 1993 and how we will deal with such a complaint.
Under section 2 of the Privacy Act 1993 “personal information” is defined as “information about an identifiable individual”, and includes certain information relating to a death.
Types of personal information collected
Information we collect includes:
- Names and pseudonyms
- Contact information
- Job title
- Date of birth and (if applicable) date of death
- Residency status
- Bank account details for electronic funds transfer payments
- Lists of works and the rightsholders of those works
We provide the option for individuals to either not identify themselves or to use a pseudonym, when dealing with us. In some circumstances if you choose not to provide requested information we may not be able to provide you with certain services. We do not provide this option in circumstances where it is impracticable to do so or where we are legally required to deal with identified individuals only.
Information on children aged under 13
CLNZ does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of our site is directed to persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access this site at any time or in any manner. We will take appropriate steps to delete any personally identifiable information of persons less than 13 years of age that has been collected on our site without verified parental consent upon learning of the existence of such personally identifiable information.
Section 2: How does CLNZ collect personal information?
We collect personal information through:
- Data collection activities: surveys, e-reporting, and from rightsholders
- Overseas licensing bodies and collective management organisations
- Organisations that act as an agent for us, including NZ School Trustees Association
- Zoho CRM and other Zoho business management applications
- Electronic form website enquiries, user portals and interfaces, and email correspondence with licence-holders and rightsholders
- Lists provided by commercial third parties
- Marketing activities
- Recruitment activities
- Google Analytics
- Zendesk Knowledge Base
- Moodle eLearning modules
- Telephone calls, through notes arising from calls and through recording conversations where callers have been advised the recording is activated
Users should be aware that there are inherent risks in transmitting information across the internet.
Zendesk Knowledge Bases
CLNZ uses Zendesk software to host our knowledge bases. Unless a user provides their name and email address by logging in to submit a question via the software to CLNZ, only data about users’ usage and activity is collected for the purpose of improving the knowledge bases and cannot be used by us to personally identify users. By using the knowledge bases you consent to the processing of data about you by us in the manner described.
Moodle eLearning Module
Zoho Business Management Applications
Section 3: Why does CLNZ collect personal information?
Reasons for provision of personal information to CLNZ
CLNZ collects and holds personal information for the business purposes detailed generally on our website. These purposes include:
- Collecting and distributing payments for uses of copyright works by licence-holders
- Identifying and locating rightsholders
- Licensing copyright works to licensees
- Supporting infringement actions which assist rightsholders with rights management
- Administering funding applications, prizes and awards
- During recruitment activity, directly by us and through third-parties such as recruitment websites and recruitment agencies
- Other secondary purposes you might reasonably expect us to apply related to related to these primary purposes.
Section 4: How does CLNZ use and disclose personal information?
CLNZ uses and discloses personal information for the purposes that it was collected, as outlined in this statement and elsewhere on the CLNZ website, and for associated management purposes. It may also use and disclose personal information for any other purposes to which you have consented. Subject to the Privacy Act 1993, CLNZ may also use and disclose personal information for any other related purpose that you would reasonably expect the information to be used or disclosed. You may request that CLNZ does not disclose certain personal information without your consent.
We may use and disclose your personal information in the following specific circumstances:
- Your participation to licence-holders and other collecting societies and copyright owner associations
- Your membership, name, year of birth and any pseudonym, and participation to enable licence-holders and potential licence-holders to determine whether their licence covers your work or whether they need a CLNZ licence for use of your work
- That you have received a payment to other authors, publishers, or their agents who have an interest in your work
- Your personal information with other collecting societies and copyright owner associations in order to distribute payments to the copyright owner and to claim payments for foreign uses or under foreign licensing schemes
- Your personal information to third party research companies for the purposes of usage surveys and other research activity, and to our independent auditors engaged to audit CLNZ’s operations
- Your personal information may be disclosed in pursuit of dispute resolution or to external mediators or experts
- CLNZ may be obliged to disclose personal information to law enforcement bodies, or to a third party if the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life, health, or safety of you or another person, and it is unreasonable or impractical to obtain your consent.
CLNZ will not otherwise use or disclose your personal information without your consent unless required or authorised by law.
CLNZ may use your personal information to send to you marketing material that we consider will be useful to you, or other material about our activities. We will only do this if we collected the information from you and you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for that purpose, or if you have consented to receiving such communications. If you don’t wish to receive this material from us you can inform us and we will stop sending it to you within a reasonable period of time.
We will not provide your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes.
Sending your personal information overseas
CLNZ may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients. For example, we may disclose certain personal information to overseas collecting societies and we may use a server hosted overseas for storage and back up of data including your personal information. The exchange of data, including personal information, is usual business practice for collecting societies like CLNZ. Details of works that have been copied under licence are provided by us and to us, in order to be able to pay those copyright owners whose work or works have been copied.
If we disclose your personal information to an overseas recipient, we will take reasonable steps before disclosure to ensure that the overseas recipient will not breach the Privacy Act 1993. We may from to time to time disclose your personal information to overseas recipients for the purposes of claiming payments for use of your works in the countries where we have a fee exchange agreement with a foreign collecting society.
We may also store some classes of personal information as backup data on servers located overseas.
Section 5: How does CLNZ store and secure personal information?
CLNZ takes reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, modification, disclosure, interference or other forms of misuse.
These steps include electronic access restrictions for electronic data, and securing paper files containing personal information in locked cabinets or off-site secure storage facilities. CLNZ holds personal information in a number of different formats, including on servers located both on-site and off-site, databases, filing systems and in offsite backup storage.
CLNZ only retains personal information for as long as it is required for its business purposes or for as long as required by law, and information no longer required is destroyed securely. We may retain information for data analysis, but if this occurs, it will be retained in a form that does not allow you to be identified from that information.
Section 6: Can I access and correct my personal information held by CLNZ?
You may request access to your personal information and to request correction if it is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. Such requests should be directed to our Privacy Officer whose details are provided below.
We will take reasonable and practicable steps to provide you access and/or make a correction to your personal information within a reasonable period, unless we consider there is a sound reason under the Privacy Act 1993 or other relevant law to withhold the information, or not to make the changes. If we do not provide you access to your personal information, or refuse to correct your personal information, where reasonable we will provide you with a written notice including the reasons for the refusal.
Section 7: Complaints and concerns
If you have a complaint relating to a breach of the privacy principles outlined in the Privacy Act 1993 you should contact our Privacy Officer at the details given below. CLNZ will investigate your complaint and respond to you within a reasonable time and in accordance with our legal obligations. We will take any necessary corrective actions promptly.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about how CLNZ treats your personal information please contact our Privacy Officer directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, via telephone on 0800 480 271 or write to the Privacy Officer at:
Copyright Licensing New Zealand
PO Box 331 488