Getting permission to use New Zealand art for commercial or promotional purposes isn't always easy. We take the guesswork out of licensing visual art.
If you're an artist...
There are already more than 80 dedicated agencies operating in over 60 countries including Australia, Canada, USA and most of Europe and now it is New Zealand's turn!
There is no cost to sign up and you maintain 100% ownership of your work. What are your waiting for?
You're in good hands
We have been working with New Zealand authors and creatives in the publishing industry for over 25 years and we're excited to be able to offer the same licensing management services to visual artists. Read more about us.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What kinds of artwork are covered?
When do organisations need a licence?
- Promotion: If they plan to use an image of an artwork to promote an auction. Including posters, brochures, catalogues or online
- Advertising: When they are creating advertising that incorporates or even references a work of art.
- Products: When they want to incorporate an artwork into the design of a product that will be sold or used to promote a business
- We won't licence your work for advertising or product uses without seeking your permission in advance.
Pricing and charges
We are a not for profit organisation and don't charge artists a membership fee. Instead, we deduct a flat rate of 20% from all licensing transactions, to cover our running costs. The remaining 80% is paid directly to the artist.
If you want to licence art work...
Why do you need a licence? A copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to organisations wanting to use art for promotional or commercial purposes including brochures, catalogues, online or as part of a design. To find out what it costs, get in touch and we will provide you with a quote.
Simplifying licensing for visual art. Licensing artwork is nothing new. There are already over 80 licensing agencies operating in 60 countries including USA, Canada, most of Europe and Australia.
Compliance with the law: Until now, there hasn’t been an easy way to obtain the rights to use New Zealand art. The Visual Arts Licence gives organisations access to a centralised copyright licensing service.
Risk management: when you obtain a licence, your organisation will be indemnified against legal action by the owners of material included in the licence. You’ll also have access to our help-desk to answer any questions about what your licence covers.
Support New Zealand artists: It is important that we support our country’s artists and the licence fee paid to the artist whose work is reproduced.
Examples of our Visual Arts Licence Agreements
Find out more
To learn more about the Visual Arts Licence or discuss your copyright needs in more detail, we encourage you to get in touch via our online form. Our visual arts consultant, Caroline Stone will be able to help.