Kiwi schools have important obligations under copyright law. If your school needs a simple, affordable copyright compliance solution, our licence is here to help.
If your teaching materials include content from books, journals, magazines or newspapers then this copyright licence is here to make your work much easier. For less than the cost of one book per student, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal or magazine (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
- Overseas and local newspapers (digital and print content)
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- 15 pages from books of short stories and poetry
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Overseas and local newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy)
How can you share this material with students?
- Handouts, class notes and teacher compiled worksheets (printed and digital)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password protected intranet sites (eg. student portals)
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, newspapers and periodicals.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage complicated multiple licences. And no need to remove material because permission to copy can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your school will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers - including many local creators - to continue to produce information you need to teach your students.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of EFTS (Equivalent Full Time Students), making copyright compliance a predictable fixed cost.
Annual Fee (2019 rates):
$1.68 per primary student + gst
$3.36 per secondary student + gst
These copyright licences are issued through the New Zealand Trustees Association (NZSTA), as we work alongside OneMusic and Screenrights to make licensing easier for schools. Check out the 'Read More' section on getlicensed.co.nz for more information.
The Primary and Secondary Schools Licence can be activated for the first time at any point throughout the year, and is issued for the period 1 July to 30 June. Renewed in the middle of the year, all you need to do is update your student numbers and NZSTA will take care of the rest.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
Did you know that 87% of schools rely on printed hand-outs in the classroom? Our copyright licence is designed to meet the needs of today's teachers and lets you focus on your students, not compliance.
- Free e-learning module for staff and students. In just 30 to 40 minutes you’ll gain an effective, practical grounding in copyright, or use it in professional development, new staff induction, or risk management exercises.
- Knowledge base freely available for all staff and secondary school students. If you have a curly question, just consult our
Our second extract facility permits further copying beyond normal licence restrictions, and full copying of out-of-print works.
- Free training material. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss other training needs.
- To view the full terms and conditions of this licence, you can read our Schools Licensing Agreement here.
Find out more
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base