If your PTE (Private Training Establishment) or ITO (Industry Training Organisation) needs to efficiently manage copyright compliance cost and risk, then our PTE and ITO Licence is here to help.
If your student course materials include content from books, journals, or magazines then this copyright licence is for you. For less than the cost of one book per student, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal or magazine (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
- Overseas and local newspapers (digital and print content) for non-commercial licence-holders only
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- 15 pages from books of short stories and poetry
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Local and overseas newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy) for non-commercial licence-holders only
How can you share this material with students?
- Handouts, class notes and teacher compiled worksheets (printed and digital)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password protected intranet sites (eg. student portals)
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, and periodicals.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage complicated multiple licences. And no need to remove material because permission to copy can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your organisation will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers to continue to produce information you need to teach your students.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of EFTS (Equivalent Full Time Students), making copyright compliance a predictable fixed cost. If your organisation has low student numbers or doesn't operate in an EFTS environment, you may qualify for a fixed minimum fee.
The PTE and ITO Licence can be activated for the first time at any point throughout the year, and is issued for the period January to December. Renewed at the beginning of every year, all you need to do is update your EFTS numbers and we'll take care of the rest.
A discount is offered for not-for-profit/charitable licence-holders.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
Our PTE and ITO Licence is designed to meet the needs of Private Training Establishments, Industry Training Organisations, and comparable education providers.
- Free e-learning module for staff and students. In just 30 to 40 minutes you’ll gain an effective, practical grounding in copyright, or use it in professional development, new staff induction, or risk management exercises.
- Knowledge base freely available for all staff and students. If you have a curly question, just consult our
Full copying of out-of-print works in some circumstances.
- Free training material. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss other training needs.
Is your organisation an industry representation body?
We can work with you to bring the benefits of a bespoke copyright licence to your industry.
Find out more
To learn more about the PTE and ITO Licence or discuss your copyright needs in more detail, please contact us via this Enquiry Form. You will receive a response from us within two working days.
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base