If your PTE (Private Training Establishment) needs to efficiently manage copyright compliance cost and risk, then our PTE Licence is here to help.
If your student course materials include content from books, journals, newspapers* or magazines then this copyright licence is for you. For less than the cost of one book per student, you can simplify your copyright law compliance.
Here's an overview of what's covered under this licence.
What material can you copy?
- Material that originates from a printed book, journal or magazine (sometimes called hard copies)
- A scanned or digital copy of an original printed version
- Overseas and local newspapers (digital and print content) for non-commercial licence-holders only*
How much can you copy?
- Up to 10% or one chapter of a book (whichever is greater, including pictures and graphs)
- 15 pages from books of short stories and poetry
- Complete magazine and journal articles (one per issue, more if on the same subject)
- Overseas and local newspaper articles (five per issue, from online or hard copy) for non-commercial licence-holders only*
How can you share this material with students?
- Handouts, class notes and teacher compiled worksheets (printed and digital)
- Interactive whiteboards and screens
- Password protected intranet sites (eg. student portals)
Simplify your copyright law compliance
This copyright licence provides comprehensive permission to re-use printed material sourced from books, textbooks, journals, magazines, and periodicals.
Compliance with the law: staff will no longer need to obtain permission from each publisher. No need to renew permission when licences expire, or to manage complicated multiple licences. And no need to remove material because permission to copy can’t be obtained.
Risk management: as a licence-holder, your organisation will be indemnified against legal action by owners of material included in the licence. Licence-holders have access to free copyright education material and our help-desk.
Support authors and publishers: licence fees fund authors and publishers to continue to produce information you need to teach your students.
Pricing and licence period
Pricing is based on your number of EFTS (Equivalent Full Time Students), making copyright compliance a predictable fixed cost. If your organisation has low student numbers or doesn't operate in an EFTS environment, you may qualify for a fixed minimum fee.
The PTE Licence can be activated for the first time at any point throughout the year, and is issued for the period January to December. Renewed at the beginning of every year, all you need to do is update your EFTS numbers and we'll take care of the rest.
A discount is offered for not-for-profit/charitable licence-holders.
A copyright licence that meets your needs.
Our PTE Licence is designed to meet the needs of Private Training Establishments and comparable education providers.
- Free e-learning module for staff and students. In just 30 to 40 minutes you’ll gain an effective, practical grounding in copyright, or use it in professional development, new staff induction, or risk management exercises.
- Knowledge base freely available for all staff and students. If you have a curly question, just consult our
Full copying of out-of-print works in some circumstances.
- Free training support. Check out our resources page to download copyright awareness material or contact our Business Development Manager to discuss webinar and live copyright education seminars.
Is your organisation an industry representation body?
We can work with you to bring the benefits of a bespoke copyright licence to your industry.
How does the licence help me?
Lecturers and teaching staff
If you’re a teacher or lecturer the licence lets you focus on delivering a high-quality education to your students while also minimizing your administrative burden, allowing you to spend more of your non-teaching time on research. The licence opens up a world of high-quality published material, without having to obtain, manage, and maintain compliance with permissions from publishers of every item used in your course materials.
If you’re in a compliance administration role, the licence helps you to keep your PTE compliant with its legal obligations. The licence helps by removing a wide range of compliance obligations. It reduces or eliminates altogether risks of teaching staff being sufficiently informed of copyright obligations, correctly obtaining, complying with, correctly recording, and renewing large quantities of individual permissions, as well as budgeting and payment of fees for large quantities of permissions. There’s even a legal indemnification! Copyright Licence provides a range of education and compliance resources, and support from knowledgeable, responsive staff.
If you’re responsible for making purchasing decisions, the licence provides a comprehensive, well-established, and cost-efficient solution to copyright’s compliance risk and administrative overhead. The licence helps by covering a broad range of copyright material, simple comprehensive terms, with a predictable EFTS-based fee structure.
If you’re a senior decision-maker, the licence provides an effective, low cost compliance solution that lets administrators focus on your organization’s strategic goals. The licence helps through its broad scope and predictable cost structure, mitigating the risk of non-compliance with otherwise complex legal obligations.
What isn't included in the licence?
Copyright applies to published material including books, journals, newspapers, magazines, art and music - even when the copyright symbol © is not displayed. Generally, if your copying falls outside of the guidelines, you need to gain advanced permission from the Rightsholder to copy and share their material.
Our various licences enable organisations that have licensed with us to copy and share much more than is available under the Copyright Act. But there are exclusions to what can be copied, find out more here >>
Is your PTE currently licensed?
Use the table below to search for your PTE and confirm if they hold a current licence.
Find out more
For in-depth answers for all your questions, visit our Knowledge Base